Bird Feeding tips
Increasingly our customers recognise the importance of feeding garden birds all year round, and not just during the colder winter months. In reality, during spring and summer wild bird energy requirements are considerably greater than during the winter months, and whilst natural food supplies are more abundant in the warmer months, birds of all species really appreciate the extra nutritional boost that our garden bird foods provide.
The end result of regular feeding will be an abundance of different varieties of birds, an array of wonderful colour and tuneful bird song.
GENERAL BIRD FEEDING TIPS
- Always ensure that garden birds have plenty of clean water for drinking & bathing
- Regular feeding twice a day will keep birds coming back to your garden
- Wild birds should be fed all year round – in the breeding and summer months wild birds are much more active & use considerably more energy than during winter
- Once you start feeding you garden birds it is important to continue as they become reliant on your help
- Clean all feeding & drinking areas regularly with a mild disinfectant.
- Keep food fresh & dry by removing any old or wet food to prevent the spread of bacteria & diseases
- All products in the Chirpy range may contain peanuts and other types of nuts due to the manufacturing process
- Store packs in a cool, dry and dark place.
- Best used within three months of opening
- Use the special sticker to reseal packs each tie after use (no reseal sticker on fat balls)
PRODUCT SPECIFIC BIRD FEEDING GUIDANCE
Garden birds will generally eat a wide variety of different foods but the following guide should help you to know what particular species you might expect to attract to your garden. Remember though that other species may well be attracted – keep your eyes and ears open!
Supreme Seed Mix
- Suitable for ground feeding, bird tables or fine seed feeders
- Blackbirds, Blue tit, Bullfinch, Chaffinches, Great tit, Greenfinch, House sparrow, Siskin, Starling
- Suitable for ground feeding, bird tables or seed feeders
- Blackbird, Blackcap, Blue tit, Chaffinch, Collared dove, Goldfinch, Great tit, Greenfinch, House sparrow, Robin, Siskin, Song thrush, Long tailed tit, Siskin, Starling
- Suitable for mesh feeders. When feeding from table or ground, peanuts should be broken down
- Blue tit, Coal tit, Great tit, House sparrow, Long tailed tit, Siskin, Nuthatch, Great Spotted Woodpecker
- Smaller nibbed peanuts will generally attract a wide variety of birds, particularly the smaller colourful varieties.
- Suitable for ground feeding, bird tables or fine mesh feeders
- Blue tit, Dunnock, Great tit, Green finch, House sparrow, Long tailed tit, Siskin, Nuthatch, Gold finch, Blackbird, Robin, Song thrush, Great Spotted Woodpecker
- Suitable for ground feeding, tables or fat ball feeders
- Blackbird, Blackcap, Blue tit, Great tit, House sparrow, Long-tailed tit, Robin, Starling